VMware Delivers Industry-First Unified End User Experience, Management and Security Solution for All Endpoint Platforms
- Workspace ONE Transitions Traditional Windows into a Cloud Service for the Digital Workspace with VMware Horizon
- New Workspace ONE Intelligence Service Powers Insights, Planning, and Automation
VMware unveils innovations that make VMware Workspace ONE™ powered by AirWatch® the industry’s first unified end user experience, management and security solution for all endpoint platforms. Customers will now have the ability to use Workspace ONE as a single solution to enable unified endpoint management (UEM) and unify the end user experience across all endpoint platforms including Windows, macOS, Chrome OS, iOS, and Android. In addition, Workspace ONE will now uniquely integrate application programming interfaces (APIs) from major endpoint platform providers to stay in lock-step with the latest innovations in devices and applications.
Workspace ONE is the industry’s first digital workspace platform that uniquely integrates AirWatch endpoint management technology with end-user identity to deliver a consumer-simple experience with enterprise-class security. Workspace ONE will also extend the same experience and security to traditional Windows environments with VMware Horizon virtual application and desktop technology.
Bringing Market-Leading Mobile Experience, Management, and Security to Windows, macOS, and Chrome OS Platforms
Legacy methods of PC lifecycle management struggle to keep pace with the mobile workforce. Workspace ONE brings a modern approach and delivers a secure, full self-service experience to end users from onboarding to ongoing productivity, similar to a mobile experience. Employees can now receive a new laptop and be up and running in minutes with out-of-the-box enrollment and self-service applications. This new approach eliminates a complex, expensive, and error prone desktop management model, and security is strengthened with the ability to quarantine and update any device in real-time using the cloud. This same experience and security model is also available for Windows 10 and macOS with Workspace ONE.
Workspace ONE will also offer cloud-based peer-to-peer (P2P) software distribution technology to install large applications to distributed PCs at scale. This capability eliminates the need for costly branch office servers that requires silo-ed infrastructure management.
In addition, Workspace ONE is the first solution to manage Chrome devices making it the industry’s only digital workspace platform for iOS, Android, Windows 10, macOS, and Chrome OS. Partners like HP further validate the solution by powering the HP device as a service (DaaS) offering using Workspace ONE.
Transforming Traditional Windows Using a Modern Service Delivery Architecture
The only way to deliver traditional Windows applications as part of a modern digital workspace is to transform them using a service delivery architecture that has invisible infrastructure and fully-automated management.
Horizon 7 integrated with VMware Cloud Foundation™ and Dell EMC VDI Complete with Horizon Apps makes infrastructure elastic, integrating compute, storage, networking, and infrastructure management together. This eliminates the need for deep planning and operational visibility for infrastructure components. Together with Horizon Cloud, customers will now have options for elastic infrastructure for on-premises or cloud. Furthermore, management of Windows desktops and applications can be automated with the VMware Just in Time Management Platform (JMP) and a technology preview that integrates JMP platform technologies (Instant Clone, VMware App Volumes™, and User Environment Manager) into a single console, that will further simplify management.
Quickly Embrace Office 365 with Better Experience and Security
Customers want to adopt Office 365 quickly but are challenged with complicated provisioning and delivering secure experiences across all endpoint platforms. Workspace ONE will now give customers the ability to enforce and manage security policies and data loss prevention (DLP) alongside all of their applications and devices.
Workspace ONE Intelligence
Delivering Smart and Actionable Insights
Modern mobile workstyles create a massive challenge for IT trying to gain insight into usage patterns of applications and devices for informed decision-making. VMware Workspace ONE Intelligence is a new add-on service to Workspace ONE that will deliver comprehensive insights and automated actions to help accelerate planning, enhance security, and improve end user experience. Insight into application deployments, usage, device security, and end-user experience will help IT understand the performance and security of their digital workspace environments. In addition, a built-in rules engine will empower customers with automated actions that enable real-time security and performance optimization unavailable in legacy models.
Availability and Pricing
Updates to Workspace ONE in addition to Horizon 7 with Cloud Foundation and Dell EMC VDI Complete with Horizon Apps are expected to be generally available in Q3 FY18. General availability for Workspace ONE Intelligence is expected in Q4 FY18.
- Read a blog post on VMware Radius by Sumit Dhawan, senior vice president and general manager, End-User Computing, VMware
- Read a perspective on today’s VMworld news from Chris Wolf, Vice President and CTO, Global Field and Industry, VMware, “Exceptional Developer, User, and Customer Experiences are the Keys Innovation and Productivity”
- More information and content is available in the VMworld 2017 Online Press Kit
- Visit the VMware AirWatch blogto learn more about innovations in Workspace ONE and AirWatch
- Visit the VMware End-User Computing blogto learn more about innovations in Horizon and JMP Technologies.
- Learn more about VMware Education Services for End-User Computing solutions
- Follow VMware Workspace ONE powered by AirWatch on Facebookand Twitter
- Follow VMware Horizon on Facebookand Twitter
VMware and Pivotal Launch Pivotal Container Service (PKS) and Collaborate with Google Cloud to Bring Kubernetes to Enterprise Customers
- New Pivotal Container Service™ (PKS) Delivers a Simple Way to Deploy and Operate Production-Ready Kubernetes on VMware vSphere® and Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
- PKS Features Kubernetes Distribution Built on Kubo, an Open Source Technology Created by Pivotal and Google Cloud, Addressing the Need for a Flexible Container Experience On-Premises and in the Cloud
- VMware Joins Pivotal and Google Cloud’s Kubo Collaboration by Committing Significant R&D Resources
PKS enables enterprises and service providers to deliver production-ready Kubernetes on VMware vSphere and Google Cloud Platform(GCP). PKS lets enterprises easily use the same container orchestration technology that Google uses for its web-scale services in their on-premise deployments. Specifically, PKS includes:
- Ops Manager tile & BOSH release within Pivotal Cloud Foundry
- On-Demand Service Broker, for deploying on-demand Kubo clusters from CF
- Google GCP Service Broker, for access to Google services to apps running on Kubo
- VMware NSX
- Integration to Wavefront and vROps monitoring tooling
PKS to Help Enterprises Simplify and Operationalize Kubernetes with Constant Compatibility to Google Container Engine
Pivotal and VMware are applying their deep enterprise expertise to launch PKS™, a commercial release of the open source Kubo technology, to help Global 2000 companies operationalize Kubernetes. Software teams that have decided on containers as their unit of deployment need a reliable, scalable container orchestration platform like Kubernetes. PKS will help operations teams deliver a hardened, maintainable container platform, while giving developers on-demand access to a production-ready environment featuring high availability, security, and multi-tenancy across private and public clouds.
In November 2016, Pivotal and Google Cloud partnered on Kubo, a joint engineering effort to bring the multi-cloud deployment capabilities of Pivotal Cloud Foundry (via BOSH) to Kubernetes clusters — providing a uniform way to instantiate, deploy, and manage highly-available Kubernetes clusters on any cloud. As enterprises and developers agree upon on a common standard for managing containers, VMware has teamed up with Pivotal and Google Cloud, and is committing significant R&D resources to jointly develop Kubo and build solutions on top of it that enhance the operational readiness of Kubernetes.
The initial release of PKS will feature Kubernetes via BOSH, VMware NSX®, and a jointly developed version of Open Services Broker API that allows easy integration of GCP services into PKS applications. PKS will feature cross-cloud security and network connectivity including container network interface (CNI) compatible services powered by NSX. PKS will be seamlessly integrated with VMware vSphere, enabling customers to use VMware’s unified SDDC infrastructure for containers and VMs.
Moreover, a critical benefit for enterprise customers will be PKS’ constant compatibility to Google Container Engine (GKE), which is continuously powered by the latest Kubernetes release and features a fully managed experience backed by Google SRE (Site Reliability Engineering). As a result, PKS’ constant compatibility with GKE will bring users the latest container-native innovations in a secure and consistent environment. With PKS and GKE, users will gain the workload portability, operational simplicity and agility to speed business outcomes.
PKS to Offer Deep Integration with VMware Infrastructure and Management
PKS customers will be able take advantage of deep integrations with VMware infrastructure and management offerings for:
- Enabling persistent storage for stateful applications via the vSphere Cloud Provider, which provides access to vSphere storage powered by VMware vSAN™ or traditional SAN and NAS storage,
- Automation and governance for enterprises via vRealize® Automation™ and provisioning of service provider clouds with VMware vCloud Director®,
- Monitoring and troubleshooting of virtual infrastructure via VMware vRealize® Operations™, and
- Metrics monitoring of containerized applications via Wavefront® by VMware®.
PKS Preconfigured for Google Cloud Platform
PKS will include a jointly developed and maintained implementation of Open Services Broker API and will be continuously compatible with GKE. This will make it easy for PKS users to incorporate innovative GCP services like BigQuery, Spanner, and Machine Learning in their applications, and will provide fast and easy application portability between PKS and GKE.
Pivotal and VMware to Bring PKS to Market
Fully supported by Pivotal and VMware, PKS will be best suited for large- to mid-sized enterprises as well as service providers. Pivotal and VMware will both sell the product directly, via their respective channels, and via the VMware Cloud Provider™ partner program. PKS will also be brought to market by Dell EMC on VxRail Appliances and VxRack Systems, which offer a foundation of proven hyper-converged infrastructure and data protection.
- VMware Hands On Labs Live Stats here
- Google’s Blog announcement: Expanding Kubernetes in the enterprise: Google Container Engine + Pivotal Container Service
- Chris Wolf’s post on PKS: Exceptional Developer, User, and Customer Experiences are the Keys to Innovation and Productivity
- Kubernetes – open-source system for automating deployment, scaling, and management of containerized applications
- Kubo – BOSH-Powered, Web-Scale Release Engineering for Kubernetes. A tool that instantiates, deploys and manages Kubernetes clusters with high availability on public and private clouds.